Defining Quality Hospice Care in Columbus, OH
We believe that quality hospice care is defined by the wishes and needs of each and every one of our patients. Our sole mission is to provide the best hospice care in the Columbus area to support the members of our community during their end-of-life journey. Remaining locally owned and operated is also part of our mission, as we believe in serving the members of this great community. We are committed to keeping our patients comfortable by keeping them wherever they call home rather than endure unnecessary and sometimes painful hospitalizations. We also believe the best care is rooted in allowing our team members the time and resources necessary to provide the highest level of care. Because of this, we strive to support not only our patients and families, but to empower the great staff serving them.
Our Levels of Hospice Care
Routine Home Care
- The the most common level of hospice care provided
- Wherever the patient calls home is where the visits happen
- Each patients needs are met through scheduled and on-call visits up to 7 days a week
Each patients comfort level is the top priority at Capital City Hospice. We use an aggressive staffing model to increase visit frequencies when it is deemed clinically necessary to keep our patients comfortable. Our team’s experience and the frequency of their visits allows us to manage symptoms and avoid crises.
- Temporary/short-term care is done at the patient’s home when symptoms are not being controlled through routine visits
- Nurses or Nursing Aides are staffed at bedside up to 24 hours a day for maximum care
- Continuous care nurses remain in contact with physicians and RN Case Managers to communicate and address changes in patients’ conditions
During crises, it’s important for patients and families to feel comfortable.Continuous Care provides a level of support to regain that level of comfortableness. Our bedside team maintains the comfort of the patient clinically while providing emotional support for each family. We aim to create a safe setting where families can spend quality time with their loved one.
- Being the primary caregiver of a loved one with serious health concerns can be extremely stressful and exhausting
- The Medicare Hospice Benefit allows up to a 5 day stay at a hospice inpatient unit or a nursing facility
- This allows a home patient’s family time to attend out-of-town events (graduation, wedding) or simply take a break from caregiving
- Our team can assist families in finding respite facilities if needed
General Inpatient Care
- Temporary/short term care provided away from the home when symptoms are not being controlled through routine visits
- This level of care can take place in a hospital or skilled nursing facility
- We strive to keep patients at home, but sometimes a situation calls for an inpatient stay
- We can contract with various nursing facilities and hospitals throughout the area to provide this level of care
- Our goal is to stabilize the patient and family physically and emotionally so the patient can return home as soon as it is clinically appropriate
We go above-and-beyond the requirements set by Medicare with our different types of Supplemental Care. This type of care aims to alleviate symptoms and stress through non-medical interventions. The highest level of hospice care is when we pair our core services with holistic care like massage therapy or music therapy. Our supplemental care includes:
- Music therapy
- Pet Therapy
- Massage Therapy
- Follow-up for the first year after the loss of a loved one
- A quarterly newsletter with pertinent information, articles and words of comfort for this time
- Mailings every few months and occasional phone calls to check and see how loved ones are coping
- A Bereavement Memorial is offered twice a year to give another opportunity to honor and remember those that have passed away
- Need a little extra help? We can talk by phone, meet wherever is comfortable, or…
- Provide referrals
- Be a resource for extra grief materials specific questions.
- Help through the rough times: the holidays, birthdays, and anniversaries can be difficult. We can give tips, suggestions, and a listening ear when times get tough.
I had a great experience with Capital City Hospice. Tish & Deb were especially comforting, thoughtful, supportive and loving.
Betty J. Brown
Thank you for the care and comfort that you provided all of us. Your hospice team members went above and beyond and even attended my Aunt’s funeral service.
Cecilia C. Nienaber
I think the word “magnificent” describes the care that Capital City Hospice provided for our Mom. Each and every one of their staff members treated Mom as family.